Trap-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return has been proven to be the best solution for the numbers of feral and free-roaming community cats. It is the internationally accepted, effective and humane method of controlling community cat populations.
Trap-Neuter-Vaccinate- Return involves:
- Humanely trapping the members of the cat colony
- Spaying or neutering, vaccinating for rabies and ear-tipping the cats
- Adopting out any socialized cats or young kittens
- Following recovery, returning the cats to their original colony site
- Providing regular food, water and shelter
- Providing long-term care and monitoring for signs of illness or new cats entering the colony.
Benefits of TNVR
- Stabilizes colony size by eliminating new litters of kittens
- Results in eventual decline in colony size
- Improves cats lives by relieving constant stresses related to reproduction
- Drastically reduces nuisance behaviors associated with mating such as howling, spraying and fighting
- Reduces complaint calls about cats to authorities
- Increases public health level because cats area vaccinated against rabies
- Reduces numbers of cats and kittens taken to animal shelters.
Trap-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return works for cats and the community!